Friday, May 20, 2011

Make-Ahead Pizza Casserole

This is one of those recipes that you can customize to your family's tastes! Here is the recipe, as printed:

1/2 lb shredded mozzerella
1/4 lb prosciutto, chopped
3 medium tomatoes, cored and diced
6 cups French or Italian bread (about 1 medium loaf)
5 eggs
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Grated parmesan cheese

1. Spray a 9 by 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, toss together the mozzarella, prosciutto, tomatoes, and bread. Arrange the bread mixture evenly in the pan.
3. Using the same bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk. Add the milk, sour cream, oregano, basil, and garlic powder. Beat well.
4. Pour the egg mixture over the bread, tilting the pan from side to side to soak all the bread cubes evenly. Cover the pan with foil and refrigerate at least three hours, or overnight.
5. Remove from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for about 20 minutes; heat oven to 350. Uncover the casserole and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp on top. Sprinkle with the parmesan before serving.

Ok, now here's what I do- since most of my family doesn't like tomatoes, I leave them out. I also leave out the prosciutto (just because I don't want to search for it in the grocery store, lol). Instead, I use 1 box of frozen spinach, thawed and drained, a can of mushrooms, drained, and sometimes I cook and crumble some bacon and add that. I also put extra mozzarella on top about 5 minutes before the timer goes off.

Another alternative would be to use pepperoni instead of prosciutto. Like I said, it all depends on your family's tastes! I'm sure there are a million ways you could make it. I love that it is super easy and it is (mostly) made ahead of time!


Posted by: Tabitha

No comments:

Post a Comment