Sunday, December 4, 2011

Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Pizza

I found the inspiration for this recipe here. I had to make some modifications based on what I had time for,  ingredients I could find during my super-quick trip to the grocery store, and comments other people left on the recipe page.

2 large onions
olive oil
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp herbes de provence
1 can refrigerated pizza dough
8 oz container crumbled goat cheese
1/2 c white wine (I had some prosecco, left over from Thanksgiving. Use whatever you like.)

Heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil and the herbes de provence in a large skillet over med-low heat. Slice the onions thinly (but not paper thin, or they'll start to disintigrate), and add to the skillet. Add the sugar. (If you're using sweet onions, you'll need less sugar. I was working with plain yellow onions and used a whole 2 tbsp. The original recipe calls for less.) Cook, stirring occasionally over med-low heat for 1-1.5 hours until the onions are golden brown. Add the wine to the skillet and let it simmer away during the last 15 minutes of cook time.* Prepare the pizza crust and oven according to the package directions. Top with the onions and the goat cheese crumbles and bake 10-12 minutes or until the cheese is just golden.

*Some of the commenters on the original recipe page said that the pizza was too dry, and I did notice as the onions got close to being done, they were starting to dry out a little. The wine fixed that and added and extra layer of flavor-- it was GREAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment