Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Monkey Bread

I was in the mood for something sweet, but I didn't have everything I needed for any of my usual favorites. So I sort of cobbled a few recipes together to make monkey bread.

1 can biscuits (I think I had an 8ct. of Pillsbury Grands)
1/2 c sugar
2 tbsp cinnamon
--------------------------------------------------------------------
1 c sugar
6 tbsp butter
1/2 c heavy cream, half & half, or milk (the higher the fat content, the thicker the caramel)

Mix the 1/2 c sugar with the cinnamon on a plate or in a shallow bowl. Cut the biscuits into quarters and dredge each piece in the cinnamon sugar. Place the biscuit pieces in a well-greased (I lined mine with foil and greased that, just to cut down on clean-up) 8" cake pan.
Put the sugar in a heavy sauce-pot (at least 3 quart size because the caramel will foam up as it cooks), and cook at moderately high heat. Whisk constantly until the sugar melts and starts to boil. Once it's dark brown, add the butter and whisk until it's combined. Remove from the heat and add the cream, stirring well to combine. Pour this over the biscuits and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes until the biscuit pieces are no longer gooey. Cool for about 15-20 minutes, then turn out onto a platter to serve.

Posted by: Erika

No comments:

Post a Comment